LastPass is a really awesome password manager.It takes care of generating a password,saving and syncing it with all your devices.

But yesterday they sent an email explaining that they were hacked.Hacking really popular these days,on an average there are about 9 defacements that happen everyday.But after going through the email.I was happy.

You might be wondering ,why is he so happy.The reason I was happy was due to the architecture LastPass had built to perform all the above mentioned features.

The way LastPass works is it uses a really secure encryption algorithm pbkdf2.As part of this algorithm the content can be encrypted multiple times like a chain.Lastpass made use of this technique really well.

They set the iteration count to 100000, which meant that if you want to decrypt it you have to perform it 100000 times to receive the decrypted content.

Moreover all of the keys that used for encryption is derived from your pass phrase.so if you have a really long and random password, it will make it near to impossible to decrypt the passphrase.They don’t save the keys on their server.
Having said all of this,I am not gonna change my password,the hacker can have my encrypted blob and hope they are happy cracking it on their ASIC devices



Today one of the startups in our accelerator were infected with an adware.After some digging around it looked like the adware has infected the whole system not just the browser.Chrome, Safari and even Firefox were infected.

After a couple of Google searches I came across Adware Medic.Its a free , donation driven application which working detects adware using signatures similar to antivirus.

The application was very easy to use and within a couple of minutes the application detected all the files that were infected and cleaned it.

The application is highly recommended even for those who are yet to be infected by malware.



Android studio is probably the best IDE for Android.Even with its slow grade tasks and occasional unresponsiveness,Google has added a lot of new features to make life easy

Just a couple of days ago I was working with a team to fix an issue they were facing with their android app.

The issue was very vague, the developer was trying to upload a base64 string to the server.The string was generated from an image.But while testing locally on his machine he faced an issue.

I then asked the dev what he was doing ,he said he was using logcat to copy the base64 string.He would then copy the string from the logcat and run it through the online convertor.

So I sat down with the developer to test the code.I put a breakpoint on the string.The debugger showed the obscure string really easy,I then copied the string and pasted it to a online convertor and voila things worked.Although I had to use http://www.miniwebtool.com/remove-spaces/ to remove extra space set by Android Studio.